Solomon Curve

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Solomon Curve

Post by Guest on Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:31 am

This curve displays the relationship between difference in speed with the rest of the traffic and accident rate. Note how slightly faster than the traffic is safest. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solomon_curve

A few years ago NSW brought in laws restricting learner drivers to 80km/h. Previously only provisional licence drivers were restricted to 80km/h, and they are now restricted to 90 and 100km/h. Why the government makes these decisions is beyond me. As is demonstrated by the Solomon curve, in a 110km/h speed limit traveling at 80km/h increases the risk of an accident by about 6.1. The risk is the same as traveling at 152km/h. Similarly 90 and 100km/h limits increase the risk of an accident. These are limits placed on a few drivers on the road, so the rest of the traffic is traveling 30, 20 and 10km/h faster respectively.

Back to top Go down

Re: Solomon Curve

Post by easy-e on Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:48 pm

Well, personally I think that if you can only go 80km/h you should be limited to only roads 80km/h or lower....kind of like in the US if you have a 49cc or less moped you are restricted to 35mph zones and lower.

That is a really interesting discovery, I've never heard about that before.

easy-e

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top